Thursday, October 6, 2011

Week #5

Standing in the church addition, with my four bridesmaids, and maid of honor finally putting on our dresses. Mine taking longer than theirs, since mine was a corset top that needed to be laced up, while their dresses had a zipper. We had spent the morning getting our hair done at the salon, nails done at the mall, and sipping Dunkin Donuts coffee. Each girl took their turn saying, "I can't believe the day is finally here!"

****
February 7th, 2009, our one year anniversary. He surprised me with a trip to Sugarlaof to spend the day ice skating, something I've been wanting to do together for a long time. We both looked like a deer on ice, with our legs slipping out from underneath of us, and landing either on our side or back. After enduring  as much falling as we could both handle, we made our way over to the fire put that was hidden by huge snow banks.

"I'll go get us some hot chocolate.", David says.
"Ok, hurry, I'm freezing!" I replied while sitting on the bench.

He comes back, a cup of hot chocolate in each hand. He hands me both, I look at him confused, and then notice he's reaching for something in his pocket. I look away thinking he was just reaching for chapstick. When I turn back around, David is down on one knee, a ring box opened, and his other hand extended to hold mine.

****
At last, I was squeezed into my princess dress. My maid of honor, Denise, helps me put on my shoes, while Mindy, a brides maid hands out the flower bouqets for each of the girls. Each of us take a few minutes to use the mirror to put on make up and re-curl any curl that may have fallen out. Finally, we're in our dresses, hair is curled, make-up on, and flowers in hand, now it was time to walk the back way to the front of the church, being extra careful to not be seen.  The girls line up in the doorway, I'm off to the side, hiding so I'm not seen by anyone. I peek out, the church pews are full of our friends and family, now I'm nervous.
Ashley walks down the aisle.
Next, Mindy.
After Mindy, Alyssa.
Now, Abby.
Finally, my maid of honor, Denise.

I feel like I've been holding my breath the entire time. I'm next.

****
The date was set for August 22, 2009, a little over six months away. Mom and I spent days together planning, choosing colors, linens, the menu, and driving around to reception halls until we found the perfect one. After the first few weeks of planning I stopped asking David for his opinion on the girls dresses, the mens tuxedo's, and if he preferred one color or flower over the next, he always said, "I don't care. It's up to you. I want the wedding to be exactly the way you want." Which was sweet the first two times he said it, then it got annoying and made me feel as if he really didn't care. Mom and I decided on red and gold for colors, roses for the bouqets, ham and turkey for the meal, and a beautiful, exposed beam reception hall. The only thing David had to do was get fitted for a tux, pick out my wedding band and show up to the wedding.

****
I take a deep breath, loop arms with my dad, and begin to walk down the aisle. Our guest stand, people smiling at me, some wiping away tears, and pictures are being snapped, leaving a little bright light in my vision every time I blinked. Millions of thoughts race through my head.
"Don't fall"
"I wonder if Dad is crying"
"There's Grammy Wing"
"David looks like he might cry"

The aisle seemed like two miles long with everyone starring at me. We finally reach the alter, David and I lock eyes.

Then the ceremony begins.

"Who gives away this bride to marry this man?"

"Her mother and I" My dad manages to get out before tears began to fall.

1 comment:

  1. You do a nice job here with that ping-pong effect--back and forth in time--and also with those vignettes set apart with asterisks. Often a useful technique and you deploy it well here.

    No words wasted, no sense that there should be more. And..slick close--that's exactly right!

    ReplyDelete